This list should help you prepare the property for the shoot and bring your listing out from the crowd:
- Move vehicles from drive and away from the front of home.
- Place trash barrels, and anything that is not attached to the home, in the Garage or out of sight.
- Cut grass, and remove all weeds from cracks in concrete.
- Clean windows and mirrors.
- Remove the yard sign.
- When possible, water the grass 4-5 hours prior to shooting- Even a brown lawn will look better.
- Remove any Calendars. – Calendars make a listing dated if it goes over 30 days.
- Clear all counter tops. – No scrubbies, soap, knives or cutting boards.
- Okay to leave 1-2 small appliances for size perception, but more than that can be distracting.
- Clear the Refrigerator completely. – No magnets, pictures, lists etc…
- Clean shiny appliances very well – Dirty appliances will look smudged with flash cameras.
- Remove Trashcan from Kitchen.
- Open all drapes and blinds on windows with a good view. – An exception would be Baths and some Bedrooms.
- For security, remove any expensive artwork and Firearms from view. Even if they are decorative.
- Move/Remove any furniture that obstructs windows.
- Turn all ceiling fans OFF. They will create a motion blur in your photo and even video.
- Turn all inside lights ON. This will help balance the light in most areas.
- Turn all Televisions OFF, and clean them very well.
- Make Beds and Close Closets. If you showcase a closet, do so separately if possible.
- Open doors between rooms to give an open feeling when possible.
- Remove ALL evidence of pets.
- Remove rugs from floors, especially from tile or wood floors.
- Conceal Cords! Unplug them from the wall if needed. (Except lights)
- Replace any burnt out light bulbs.
- No shoes by doors or anywhere… Please place them in the closet.
- Toilet lids should be down.
- Clear the Counter-top from absolutely every item considered to be personal.
- Remove cleaning brushes and trashcans.
- Close Shower Curtains. If custom tiled bath, showcase with shower curtain half-open.
- Remove Toilet Paper from Holder, or use a full roll. No partial Rolls please.
There are many other items to consider when preparing a home for Real Estate Photography, however by just following the above guidelines, your listing should stand out from the crowd.
You only get one chance to make a first impression.